WARNING: April Fools! The post has been kept for historical reasons.
After making sure it's not too unstable, we're pleased to announce the release of the source code of BuildCraft 8.0's latest internal alpha. You can download it here. If you're tech-savvy enough, you can probably compile it from source and check it out! We cannot yet release a build as many of the things are unfinished and might give a bad impression of BuildCraft's new, exciting direction.
To compile the source code (it's a bit wonky), perform the following commands - adapted for your setup:
$ git submodule init
$ git submodule update
$ cd BuildCraftAPI
$ git checkout 8.0.x
$ cd ..
$ gradle build
We were really surprised by the amount of positive attention that the changes got. I feel bad about IC2's bold move not getting the same treatment, and getting highly shot down and criticized by some of its biggest supporters. We have reconsidered some of the changes and improved on others.
First, we would like to clarify some of the changes:
- Yes, this is normal Redstone Flux - as you can see on Direwolf's spotlight. It's not some weird hybrid, EU, or a re-skinned IndustrialCraft 2, like some of you have claimed.
- The changes are not final. Don't worry - we're taking them in slowly and carefully.
Next, here are the main steps we will be taking after community input:
- The item backstuffing has, surprisingly, received more complaints from the core fanbase than the power changes. This is something we will have to ponder upon - we do not want to make BuildCraft feel like it's not being itself, possibly preventing the same reactions IC2 got recently.
- The power changes are generally liked, except for the power loss. We have decided that, contrary to our previous announcements, the configuration option for pipe power loss will be kept. We do admit that announcing its removal was a terrible idea.
- The Glass Pipes might have to be removed - their amazing powers have caused quite a lot of issues with server usage and power rendering. We're sorry.
- The Transformers - part of the highly-acclaimed new power system in BuildCraft - have... wait, what?